The Writers Union of Canada is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until 3rd November, 2009 for the 2009
Short Prose Competition for Developing Writers. The winning entry will be the best Canadian work of 2,500 words in the English language, fiction or nonfiction, written by an unpublished author.
Prize: $2,500 for the winning entry and the entries of the winner and finalists will be submitted to three Canadian magazines for consideration.
Jury: David Bergen, Trevor Ferguson, and Cynthia Flood.
Eligibility: This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who have not had a book published by a commercial or university press in any genre and who do not have a contract with a book publisher. Original and unpublished (English language) fiction or nonfiction.
How to Submit Entries:
- Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear 12-point font, and numbered on 8.5 x 11 paper, not stapled.
- Submissions will be accepted in hardcopy only. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Include a separate cover letter with title of story, full name, address, phone number, e-mail address, word count, and number of pages of entry.
- Please type the name of entrant and the title of entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
- Make cheque or money order payable to The Writers’ Union of Canada. Multiple entries can be submitted together and fees can be added and paid with one cheque or money order, $25 per submission.
- Entries must be postmarked by November 3, 200 2009 to be eligible.
- Mail entries to: SPC Competition, The Writers’ Union of Canada, 90 Richmond Street East, Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5C 1P1.
Results will be posted at www.writersunion.ca.